Welcome to my world of run-on sentences and shameless over use of commas. All posts loosely based on true stories as viewed by a sleep deprived drama queen..........

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back to School........

Well, it's that time of year again. Time to start getting everything ready for school. I'm finally beginning to get excited. It took a while this year, but I'm finally getting the "eager for school bug," not to be confused with the, "I'm sick of school, when will this wretched school year ever end bug," that comes around mid September. J/K, I love it. God gives me grace and mercies new each day or I couldn't do the thing.

There really is such a list of things to do. Monday we went "back to school" shopping. I thought by going on a weekday we could avoid the crowds, which we did, but I had forgotten in my summer vacation fog, that you encounter a whole different animal in the forest of retail on Mondays.......the PROFESSIONAL SHOPPER......you've spotted her, the lady with the fanny pack carrying her calculator clipped on the side. Her sale fliers spread across the front of her cart with items needed circled in Sharpie red. She can tell you the price of a loaf of bread by the slice. If you are one of these creatures, God bless you. I wanta be just like ya when I grow up. But for now, I have a kid I'm trying to keep out of the ice machine and one I'm trying to keep from asking the guy with the nose ring what he was thinkin' when he made that decision. If we get out with the crayons, pencil sharpener, and milk we came for it'll be a blessed day.

We finished reading Treasure Island, and are currently winding up our unit study. Sydney has developed an attachment to the characters the same way I do when I read a book and hates to see it ending. It warms my heart to see her love literature....pirates not so much. A fellow blogger asked me in her comments if we were reading the unabridged version. Mwuahahahahaha...No. We are reading a children's version from Dalmatian Press. It still has some degree of pirate speak without my having to stop and decipher for them everything being said.

Well, I am off to fold laundry, do dishes, and organize a little more for school. I hope to find time to eat a little chocolate somewhere in there.
Photobucket

4 comments:

beckyjomama said...

Whatever you do ... make time for the chocolate. This house is a chocolate free zone at the moment and it is KILLIN me!

(of course, showering, getting kids clean and dressed, loading the car and leading the crew through a grocery store for a few pieces of chocolate may be drastic for even THIS chocoholic. Instead, I will have the hubbs get me some on his way home. If I whine about my day loud enough he gets it in mass quantities!!)

Christi said...

I love it when they get attached to a character in a book! We just started Treasure Island and have already had some interesting discussions on why they drank so much rum and what blood letting was. And we are only on chapter 2.

Kim Sue said...

I WANT to be professional shopper. My mom is a professional shopper expecially grocery type goods. She KNOWS the price, she KNOWS what it sometimes goes on sale for, she KNOWS which store to buy washing powder and which to buy milk. I guarantee she defeats the stores campaign to get you in with a sale and then you spend lots more money on other stuff. I have seen my mom go in to Fred's just to buy toilet paper because it was on sale and ONLY buy toilet paper AND go on Tuesday because that is triple coupon day. She stocks the freezer and the pantry with items when they are on sale and then she cooks and uses what she has rather than I who will go to the grocery for a couple things for a dinner that we just had to have and come out with $100 dollars worth and still need to go back in a couple of days because I forgot milk and toothpaste!

calista said...

Oh.My.Word. They have triple coupon day??? I need to meet your mother. Does she hold classes?