Welcome to my world of run-on sentences and shameless over use of commas. All posts loosely based on true stories as viewed by a sleep deprived drama queen..........

Friday, August 8, 2008

PG or PG-13 contents

Well, it's Friday, movie night is here again. Actually we've been having a lot of movie nights at our house since it's so hot you can't go outside without sitting on a block of ice. And then you really would only have a cold butt and the rest of you would be dripping sweat. I went out to get the mail yesterday and my legs were sweating. I did not even know legs could sweat. Maybe it's just that I've had so much fat covering my sweat glands for the past several years, that I had just forgotten legs could sweat. Either way, it's too stinkin' hot to be outside. Back to the movies, my children have been way into karate since we saw Kung Fu Panda this summer. Yes, I know, they are girls, tell them that. I picked up Karate Kid at Target for $5 the other day. It's rated PG, so I thought well that should be okay, after all they couldn't rate it G with all that kicking and stuff right?? I had not seen the movie in over 20+ years, we won't talk about + how many, so I certainly did not remember anything much about it. Only that Ralph Machio was on the cover of Teen Beat and Tiger Beat for 6 months after it came out and I kept turning past him to get to the pics of Rick Springfield and John Stamos for pitty's sake. Anyway, we were about half way through the movie when the pottly mouth flood gate opened up, with a quickness and without warning. I was suddenly able to leap small buildings in a single bound when Barbie's Dreamhouse and Polly Pocket's jumbo jet became hurdles that I jumped on my way to the television. Yes, I broke the mother's law of watching a movie without the remote in hand. What was I thinking? Now I know why that law exists, well okay it's not really a law, but it should be. I think that little potty mouth used every word in the book, fortunately the mom radar kicked in after the first one and my kids were so amazed, amused and in shock at their mother's Olympic like ability to jump from one side of the room to the other clearing all obstacles, that they didn't process any of the foul language. This all leads me to say that in this day and time that movie would be labeled PG-13, 20+ years ago, it was PG. Lesson learned, I will be more careful in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never understood the Ralph Macchio (did I spell it right?) craze, but I am with you on the Rick Springfield love! I lurved him!